Every year it seems that the tick populations are getting larger, and tick-borne illnesses are the number one most prevalent types of microbial diseases in North America. Lyme disease is the fastest growing infection on the planet. Once a tick bites you it spits it's bacteria and virus filled fluids into your body(Tick Spit Research). The problem is how to get the tick off from where it has essentially a syringe needle stuck through your skin, without the tick injecting even more of the infectious fluids into your body as you physically remove it or irritate it causing it to back itself out of your skin.
Some bad methods for tick removal:
The serrated mouth portion of a tick.
I recommend only one type of tick remover, the patented TRIX Tick Removal System®, made in Sweden by InnoTech. This device is available through various distributors worldwide (www.tickremover.com) I don’t sell these, however they are readily available online for under $10.
I like to keep the TRIX® in several places so that I can use it as soon as I find a tick on myself, others, or on a pet. You may want to buy several to keep in your backpack, kitchen drawer, auto glove compartments, boat, RV, fishing tackle box, hunting jacket, barn/horse stable/kennel, and where you work. Obviously, it is best to have a TRIX® handy when you first notice a tick embedded in the skin.
Here is how the TRIX® Tick Remover works:
How to use the TRIX® tick remover:
3) Keep the green point against the skin and turn it one round between your fingers. Lift away.
4) If it is a very small tick: Place the green point close to the tick and press the point down a little into the skin to angle up the loop. Release the button, twist and lift.
1. Twist the tick away
|If you look at
the photomicrograph of the ticks mouth and suction organ (hypostome) you can
easily see that if you pull
the barbs grip and get even
more stuck in the skin (that´s what barbs are for). The risk of pulling the tick apart dramatically increases.
If you twist instead, the barbs will release their grip easier and all of the front part together with the head can come along. Tests have shown that it does not matter what direction you twist, clockwise or counterclockwise gives the same good results.
2. Twisting also reduces painWhen you pull a tick away, it causes some pain in the skin which may cause some pets to really dislike the treatment. But if you twist it away with a tick remover which keeps the mouthpart in a firm grip, the removal will be painless and the pet usually do not even notice because the bite area is stunned by the tick.
3. Always twist the tick away when using TRIX TickLasso
- It´s faster.
- Gives less pain.
- Safer complete removal of whole tick.
- Decreases the risk of infections.